Sunday, December 30, 2007

Why Exercise!?

Appraising Your Success
The end of the week/month and year is a good time to review your SWEET Life and count up your accomplishments. Your goal is 5-6 times per week for each aspect of the SWEET Life: Sleep, Water, Eating, Exercise, and Tranquility. If you didn’t achieve some of your goals, then focus on those areas more and think about how to fulfill them more consistently. You need a plan, not a hope, in order to be successful. If your plan isn’t working, it’s time to revise your plan.
How do you feel at the end of this week/month/year? Are you better rested? Do you feel relaxed? Are you more energetic? Do you feel generally healthier? If so, that’s great! Continue with the SWEET Life and you’ll continue to experience all of these feelings! If not, just know that by living the SWEET Life, you will feel all these great feelings!

Topic of the week - Exercise Drudgery vs. Habit

One day when I lived in France in 1991, I went to my local hangout and told the very good-looking bartender that I had just gone running in the Bois du Bologne. He looked me straight in the eye and said, “Why!?” I was floored. I had five reasons off the top of my head, but, basically, running was pointless to him. I was reminded of this recently when a member at the health club where I’m a Fitness Trainer asked me about working out twice a day. My first thought was, “Why!?” If I had the time to exercise twice a day, there are a lot of other things I would prefer to do instead. Lastly, I have a friend who just joined a local gym and started working out with a Personal Trainer. She doesn’t like it and just wishes she didn’t have to exercise at all. So all this made me think about those people who feel exercise is drudgery and whose reaction to exercise is, “Why!?”

Therefore, my topic for this week is: Why I Exercise
1. To feel strong and physically capable
2. To eat whatever I want
3. To sleep better
4. To have energy
5. To be able to play actively with my kids
6. To solve all my problems
7. To have a good reason to shower
8. To wear any of my clothes and know it will fit
9. To know that, in the dressing room, if it doesn’t fit, it’s the cut of the clothes and not the shape of my body
10. One word: bikini
11. To feel relaxed afterwards (Tranquility)
12. To enjoy Alameda’s beautiful scenery
13. To be “medically boring” and not need any medications
14. To be healthy, with only ~2 colds per year
15. To have longevity

These are my personal reasons for exercising, with #1-2 being the most important reasons. #3-5 are strong secondary reasons for exercising, and the rest are additional reasons why I exercise. Doctors will give you more physiological reasons, like improved bone density, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol levels, etc. As the New Year approaches, think about how you look and feel physically and what you might want to change about that in 2008, knowing that exercise is the way to change the way your body physically looks and feels. I remember in high school tying all my belts around my waist, thinking that would somehow make it smaller. It didn’t. Sit-ups do.

Happy New Year!

Suzanne

No comments: