Saturday, February 16, 2008

SMART Goals, BAT Goals, and SO on

Appraising Your Success
The end of the week is a good time to review the past week of your SWEET Life and count up your accomplishments. Your goal is 5-6 times per week for each aspect of the SWEET Life: Sleep, Water, Eating, Exercise, and Tranquility. If you didn’t achieve some of your goals for the week, then next week, focus on those areas more and think about how to fulfill them more consistently.
How do you feel at the end of this week? Are you better rested? Do you feel relaxed? Are you more energetic? Do you feel generally healthier? Continue with the SWEET Life and you’ll experience all of these feelings!

Topic of the week - SMART Goals, BAT Goals, and SO on

SMART Goals are:

· Specific
· Measurable
· Achievable
· Relevant
· Timely

By setting a SMART Goal, including explanations of how your goal fulfills each aspect of SMART, you are likely setting a goal you can succeed in. Think of what a SMART Goal would be for you to achieve within the next 4-6 weeks. That amount of time is long enough to make a difference, but not too long that you’ll lose motivation. If your main goal will take longer than 4-6 weeks to accomplish, then decide on one step towards your goal that you can achieve within 4-6 weeks.

BAT Goals stand for Be Able To. Setting goals that you will “Be Able To” do is one way of ensuring they are SMART goals. It shifts the focus from an abstraction to an ability.

& SO on

One problem that hampers many of us from achieving our goals is that we merely set them, without considering how to accomplish them. It is essential to clarify the Steps to our goals. What steps do I need to take, how often, where, when, etc. all need to be considered in order to clarify the steps to success. In addition, we all have Obstacles, which is why we have goals that we need to accomplish. What is important is to identify our Obstacles and figure out ways to work around them.

It seems like a lot to consider: SMART goals, BAT goals, Steps, & Obstacles. It’s enough to make you want to give up the whole idea of having goals. However, once these initials steps are taken, following through is that much easier because all of the thought has been done. You only need follow-through!

For example, my new goal is to strengthen my core. Specifically, to Be Able To do the Body Reading Exercises that I learned last weekend in a workshop (which makes it Timely). I want to be able to do them easily and correctly (which makes it Measurable). It’s Achievable within 4-6 weeks because I already have a certain amount of core strength, and it’s Relevant because I’ve had lower back pain recently. The Steps are to do new ab, chest and back exercises that I learned in my workshop last weekend, five times a week. I’m also going to change my computer chair because I think it’s contributing to my back problems. My Obstacles are needing more time to do more exercises and adjusting to using my stability ball as my computer chair. I can work around those obstacles by getting up a few minutes earlier, knowing the value of having core body strength and by pumping up my stability ball in order for it to be high enough for my computer keyboard.

Go ahead and try it! Daylight Savings Time, St. Patrick’s Day, Spring Equinox, Easter, and Spring Break are all in about a month, in case any of those are Relevant Times to Achieve a goal. Make a plan, then follow your plan. You can do it!

Have a SWEET week!

Suzanne

No comments: