Monday, February 25, 2008

Tranquility through the Back

Appraising Your Success
The end of the week is a good time to review the past week of your SWEET Life and count up your accomplishments. Your goal is 5-6 times per week for each aspect of the SWEET Life: Sleep, Water, Eating, Exercise, and Tranquility. If you didn’t achieve some of your goals for the week, then next week, focus on those areas more and think about how to fulfill them more consistently.
How do you feel at the end of this week? Are you better rested? Do you feel relaxed? Are you more energetic? Do you feel generally healthier? Continue with the SWEET Life and you’ll experience all of these feelings!

Topic of the week –Tranquility through the Back

What is the importance of Tranquility? Of course, there are detrimental health effects of chronic stress, but on a day to day basis, does it really matter if we get 30 minutes of Tranquility? It’s a matter of build up, or lack thereof. Having no time to relax one day won’t have much of an effect on you, but as that stress builds over the course of a few days or weeks, it will negatively affect other aspects of your life and SWEET Life as well.

The other day I had one of the few massages I’ve ever had in my life. I felt like I was rushing around all morning in order to do everything I needed to beforehand. Rushing in order to relax is strange, huh? The massage was wonderful. Ed focused on the areas of my back that had been giving me pain. I felt like he spent forever working out the kinks in my back. If I typically get tranquility every day, why was my back so tight? I felt so much more relaxed afterward. The worst part of a massage is always getting up afterward, instead of just sleeping on the massage table. Unfortunately, my girls didn’t sleep that afternoon, so I was right back into mommy mode afterwards.

At the same time, there are similar, free methods of relaxation. A nice hard back rub feels great, too, as does a big back scratch. I often give my family back scratches in the morning when they wake up. It gets the blood flowing and helps them wake up. Also, as I always say, “Everyone loves a back scratch in the morning.” You can also hop in a hot tub and have the jets blasting your back. One newer trend is foam rollers. You can put the roller on the floor and roll your back along it, either vertically or horizontally. Rolling either direction feels great, and you control the amount of pressure and specific areas of pressure yourself.

Take care of your back; it’s what holds you upright!

Have a SWEET week!

Suzanne

No comments: